Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie update

 Following up from my earlier post with results from the baked product. In a word, 'meh.' These cookies were ok, certainly better than many I've had, but not even close to the best I've made. They were a bit flat tasting, and lacked that inherent chocolate chip cookie goodness.

Here's my diagnosis:
Corn Syrup - Helped achieve some of the thickness that I wanted, but detracted from the flavor in it's flatness. left the cookie with bit of a gummy-ness rather than the chewiness I was looking for.
Shortening - Again, helped with the thickness, but left the flavor  flat. The cookies did not have that richness you get from butter. Not a surprise.
Sugar & Salt on top - Got mixed reviews. I liked the salt, but my fellow samplers could have done without it. The sugar wasn't a highlight or a lowlight.



I think the key is to use my fat (butter) and flour / sugar proportions to get the thickness and gooey-ness that I'm looking for. A good reminder that the more real and closer to the source the ingredient is (e.g. butter vs. shortening, sugar vs. syrup) the better the outcome!

I'm going back to my standard recipe for my next try and will follow up soon with those results.

No comments:

Post a Comment